mardi 15 mai 2007

TO YOU





Whoever you are, I fear you are walking the walks
of dreams,
I fear these supposed realities are to melt from
under your feet and hands,
Even now your features, joys, speech, house,
trade, manners,troubles, follies, costume, crimes,
dissipate away from you,
Your true soul and body appear before me,
They stand forth out of affairs, out of commerce,
shops,work, farms, clothes, the house, buying,
selling, eating,drinking, suffering, dying.

Whoever you are, now I place my hand upon you,
that you be my poem,
I whisper with my lips close to your ear,
I have loved many women and men, but I love
none better than you.
O I have been dilatory and dumb,
I should have made my way straight to you
long ago,
I should have blabb'd nothing but you, I should have
chanted nothing but you.
I will leave all and come and make the hymns of you,
None has understood you, but I understand you,
None has done justice to you, you have not done justice
to yourself,
None but has found you imperfect, I only find no
imperfection in you,
None but would subordinate you, I only am he who
will never consent to subordinate you,
I only am he who places over you no master, owner,
better,God, beyond what waits intrinsically in yourself.
Painters have painted their swarming groups and the
center figure of all,
From the head of the centre-figure spreading a nimbus
of gold-color'd light,
But I paint myriads of heads, but paint no head
without its nimbus of gold-color'd light,
From my hand from the brain of every man and woman it
streams, effulgently flowing forever.
O I could sing such grandeurs and glories about you!
You have not known what you are, you have slumber'd
upon yourself all your life....

WALT WHITMAN je ne sais plus si tu l'avais lu ...
je suis en train de comprendre pourquoi j'ai fait tout
ce travail de peinture , pourquoi je disais sans cesse
" il faut que ce soit le plus proche de la réalité ,
que ce soit un retour à la vie , une rédemption "


Aucun commentaire: